The Best Cannabis Strains for Anxiety
When surveyed, 75% of Canadians said they felt anxious about what was happening in the world lately. Of course, anxiety is normal, but when it doesn’t let up it can lead to larger issues. Cannabis has been known to help treat various disorders and illnesses, making this plant a treasure for those dealing with anxiety. Although before buying, smokers should educate themselves on how to choose strains that will reduce (not magnify) any negative feelings. In this article, we’ll explore the symptoms of anxiety, some basic science behind cannabinoids, and the best cannabis strains for anxiety.
How to Tell If You Suffer from Anxiety
Anxiety is one of the most common mental health disorders with 1 in 10 Canadians using health services to treat it. Not sure if you’re just stressed or suffering from anxiety? Here are some common symptoms of this disorder:
- High levels of stress
- Routinely feeling out of control
- Low self-esteem
- Feeling nervous in social settings
- Struggling to manage pressure at work or home
- Anger management issues
- Feeling depressed
- Regularly feeling overwhelmed
Physically, anxiety can manifest itself as a high heart rate, muscle tension, feeling dizzy, dry mouth, sweating, and an uneasy stomach. This mental health disorder can affect the way that people think, leading them to negative thought patterns. It is also common for people suffering from this disorder to avoid situations they believe will make them anxious.
Dosing for Anxiety
First and foremost, the most important thing to keep in mind when using cannabis to treat anxiety is dosage. Scientific studies have shown that lower doses of cannabis can reduce stress, whereas high doses can actually increase anxiety. With this in mind, it’s important to stick to a lower dose when medicating as going too far can exacerbate the situation. Remember that a low dose for you may not be the same as a low dose for someone else. Tolerance levels play a big role in dosing appropriately, so please bear that in mind.
THC vs. CBD
You hear all about indicas, sativas, and hybrids, but it’s the cannabinoids inside the strains that directly affect anxiety. While indicas generally have less THC and sativas have more, it’s more straightforward to base your choices on the cannabinoid concentrations. THC energizes the mind while CBD relaxes the body and, in their own ways, both can help fight anxiety. Nonetheless, clinical trials have shown that cannabidiol can calm the nervous system which helps reduce anxiety. Therefore, choosing a strain that has a higher concentration of CBD can help smokers manage their mental health with ease.
Cannabis Strains for Anxiety
These strains are guaranteed to provide some TLC to anyone suffering from anxiety:
- ACDC - This CBD-dominant strain will help relax your body, bringing you to a calmer state of mind. As this strain gives a physical, not mental high, it can soothe the body first and then the mind.
- Canna-Tsu - Striking the perfect balance between CBD and THC, this strain brings you the best of both worlds. You will find yourself in calm and blissful harmony when medicated with Canna-Tsu.
- Remedy - This strain also works well to treat insomnia as it relaxes the body and frees your mind from worries. As a CBD-dominant strain, you can be sure that Remedy will ease your anxiety and help you rest easy at night.
- Jack Herer - Ideal for an anxiety-reducing wake and bake, Jack Herer is a THC-dominant strain that will bring a smile to your face. Its peppery terpenes mixed with its blissful mental effect will melt your anxiety away.
- Purple Urkle - This strain may be THC-dominant, but it can help you get through restless nights. Purple Urkle can soothe your anxious mind and help you get a better night’s sleep.
- Jillybean - Sweet and citrusy, the Jillybean strain provides a happy medium of calming and energizing feelings. For anyone looking for a bit more balance in their day, this strain may be just the ticket.
- Granddaddy Purple - This THC-dominant strain is an oldie, but a goodie when it comes to treating anxiety. Use Granddaddy Purple to still your mind, as well as relieve any tension or stress.
Time to Enjoy
Anxiety happens to everyone, but medicating with cannabis, as well as speaking to your physician can help you overcome it. For more cannabis strain recommendations, visit our Instagram. If you’re interested in learning about how cannabis can make your life happier, read our last blog post. For details and recommendations about cannabis gear, read our list of the best smoking accessories for your smoke session. You can even upgrade your next sesh with our functional, rugged, and timeless pipe, The Brockton Mk2.