Cannabis has been used for centuries to treat a variety of illnesses and diseases in many cultures across the globe. As far back as 2,900 BC in China, cannabis was a popular treatment for anything from joint pain to malaria. Today, many people still use this plant to heal themselves and alleviate the symptoms of chronic pain. However, if you’re new to medicating with cannabis for pain, you may not be sure where to start. In this article, we’ll explore how cannabis alleviates pain, what ailments it can treat, and the best cannabis strains for pain.
How Can Cannabis Alleviate Pain?
Doctors and scientists alike have conducted a variety of studies on the subject of cannabis for pain relief. One of these studies, in particular, found that cannabis was effective when it came to treating chronic pain, such as neuropathy. A smaller study conducted on cancer patients also saw positive numbers with 70% of patients experiencing less pain and more overall well-being. Furthermore, people who commonly suffer from migraines reported a noticeable decrease in pain when medicating with cannabis.
Ailments Cannabis Can Help Treat
While there are still studies being conducted on how cannabis can improve people’s health, there is evidence to show that it helps with chronic pain. Cannabis may help treat your pain, if you suffer from one of the following conditions:
- Temporomandibular Jaw Disorder (TMJ)
- Neck pain
- Lower back pain
- Injury-related pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Pain related to HIV/AIDS
- Cancer pain
- Neuropathic pain
THC vs. CBD
Much like when using cannabis to treat anxiety, both THC and CBD offer benefits when treating pain. THC reacts with the cannabinoid receptors in the brain that are connected to the brain’s reward system, which in turn, reduces pain levels. The euphoric high is also associated with THC and it’s this elevated state of consciousness that can help people forget about their pain. On the other hand, CBD interacts with pain receptors in the brain, producing anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. Depending on the type of pain people are suffering from THC, CBD, or a mixture of the two can offer substantial relief.
Cannabis Strains for Pain
These strains have been shown to provide relief to those suffering from pain:
- Girl Scout Cookies - A hybrid blend of THC and CBD, this famous strain has distinctive orange hairs and purple leaves. This cannabis strain promotes relaxation, as well as alleviates nausea; however, it’s best to start with a low dose.
- ACDC - This CBD-dominant strain works effectively to relax the body and alleviate any pain. Anyone looking to medicate but still be productive will enjoy this strain, as it provides a physical, not mental high.
- Master Kush - It’s the frosty glow and potent effects of these buds that earned this famous strain the name of Master Kush. As a THC-dominant strain, users will enjoy calming relief, as well as improved relaxation.
- Harlequin - Combining the best of both worlds, the Harlequin strain achieves balance with an equal blend of CBD and THC. Pain sufferers will enjoy the harmony this strain provides and find it particularly useful for medicating during the day.
- White Widow - Another balanced strain, White Widow can help soothe your mind while also alleviating physical discomfort. As it contains linalool, this strain is especially helpful for treating inflammation and pain.
- Blue Dream - The well-known Blue Dream strain is a powerful medicine against pain. This strain provides euphoric feelings while also calming the body enough to relieve painful sensations but still allows you to get work done, if need be.
- CBD Critical Mass - This strain also finds the happy place between CBD and THC to offer cannabis users double the benefits. Alongside pain, this strain is also very adept at reducing inflammation and replacing it with euphoric feelings.
- Blackberry Kush - As this is a THC-dominant strain, it will provide the cannabis user with a feeling of euphoria allowing them to forget about the pain. Coupled with its fruity flavour, this strain offers a pleasant relief from any physical discomfort.
Time to Enjoy
Cannabis is one of the best natural medicines and with these cannabis strains, you’ll be able to alleviate any chronic pain you may be experiencing. For more cannabis strain recommendations, head to our Instagram. Those looking for more cannabis education and tips on smoking, be sure to visit the Parkdale Brass blog. Don’t forget to check at our online shop, as well. We’ll soon be restocking our functional, rugged, and timeless brass pipes.
Hi Ella! Thanks for your comment. We don’t currently sell any cannabis. However, we recommend using Leafly or Weedmaps’ websites to find a certified dispensary near you.
Can we purchase any cannabis